In 1949, George Quartz, Montague McIntyre, and George Thompson met with Henry Melvin at the local Melvin Tractor & Equipment business on River Road.
These concerned citizens were troubled that a neighboring fire department had failed to respond to a recent house fire in the area. They formed a community committee to organize a volunteer fire department that would protect residents of the Belgium and Cold Springs areas of the town. The first meeting of the proposed fire district and volunteer fire department was held on August 12, 1949. The fire district was established on December 30, 1949.
On January 6, 1950, the first organizational meeting for the fire district was held. The assessed valuation of the district was $698,875.00 and the population was 800. The fledgling fire district began operations with a $700.00 Tax Anticipation Note from First Trust Bank. Taxes levied upon district residents the first year were $2,145.00.
The first fire alarm system was a button on the outside of the fire station.