Working Smoke and CO Detectors save lives- A Baldwinsville family’s experience
A Baldwinsville family woke up in the middle of the night to their detectors blaring earlier this year. They didn’t see or smell smoke, and thought maybe they needed to change the batteries in the detectors. But that didn’t work. Still confused why the alarms wouldn’t just turn off, they called 911. It was a good thing they did. Belgium Cold Springs firefighters quickly detected dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide (CO) that had leaked into their house.
This was one of 11 carbon monoxide calls BCSFD has responded to so far this year and it’s likely not the last. BCSFD sees an average of 16 CO calls every year. This doesn’t include the average of 30 alarm activations a year that require investigation as well.
With the start of fall, you may want to turn on your heat as temperatures drop. But before you do that, make sure you have CO detectors in your house. It could save your life – like it did for the Baldwinsville family whose detectors alerted them something was wrong.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas found in fumes produced by home heating systems, hot water heaters, gas ranges, portable generators, grills, burning charcoal and wood, stoves, small gas engines, cars and trucks. CO can build up indoors and poison people and animals who breathe it.
CO poisoning can be difficult to diagnose because symptoms, such as dizziness, flu-like symptoms, throbbing headaches and fatigue, mimic other illnesses.
The best way to detect carbon monoxide is a functioning CO alarm.
CO detectors should be installed and maintained in a central location outside each sleeping area, and on every level of the home.
See the tip sheets below regarding Smoke Alarms and CO Detectors to learn the sounds of Fire Safety, it could save your life! As always if you are not sure what the sounds mean, go outside and call 911. Belgium Cold Springs Volunteer Firefighters are here 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week for our community.